Strange Growing Format

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Dutchman, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

I planted a Navel Orange tree in March of 2008. The trunk is not growing at all except for gaining a little thickness near ground level. The aluminum foil around the bud union has been removed. The main trunk is only 20" tall. From it has grown 3 big branches, one of which I directed to grow straight up which is now 30" tall . The left, 27" and right 34" lateral branches I plan to completely prune off in March in hopes of adding to the main trunk during the next growing season. Is this a good idea? If I prune the main vertical branch there would be almost nothing left of the tree. I would appreciate any advise you might have.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Seems like an awful lot of pruning. Should a tree this young have so much of itself removed?

My most urgent advice is to remove the dead tree in the background. Yikes!

3. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

Thank you for your reply. If I don't remove the two lateral branches it seems they will eventually be too much weight for the short trunk. As you can see I now have them braced up with posts. I can't think of anything else to do to get the trunk to grow.

I know that dead Juniper looks terrible, but the picture was taken in July and has now been replaced by a Mexican Red Bird of Paradise Plant.