Orange tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Brian Ball, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Brian Ball

Brian Ball Member

Yhis week I will have 600 hrs at 15 degrees C.
    Is there a need to acrue more hours?
    Many thanks to Millet for past replies
    Regards
    Brian Ball

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If your tree did NOT produce a heavy fruit crop last year, than 600 hours will be fine. If your tree DID produce a heavy crop of fruit last year, than 800 to 900 hours would be better. If you have not fertilized the tree lately, be sure to fertilize your tree one month prior to the expected bloom date with a fertilizer containing Nitrogen. This will also help your tree's bloom. Now that your tree has accumulated enough cool hours to differentiate the buds into floral buds, keep the tree warm to initiate the blooming period. . - Millet (1,433-)

3. Brian Ball

Brian Ball Member

This tree has gone through differentiation of more than 600 hrs.
    There has been a large amount of new growth and I am wondering about the temperatures it is presently going through here in Ontario.
    The nightime temp last night was 9.8 degrees Celcius.
    Should I bring the tree inside instead? Normal temp inside is about 24 degrees Celcius.
    And this is constant.

4. Millet

9.8 C is equal to 50F. To answer your question, you can bring the tree in anytime you so desire, but 50F is no problem for citrus. Actually any temperature above 35F (2C) would not hurt the tree. However, considering both growth, root zone temperature adaptation, you might bring it in at higher temperatures. NOTE: to prevent winter leaf drop (WLD) when you bring the tree in and place it in front of a south facing window be SURE that the roots are already at least 64F (18C) - Millet (1,238-)

5. Brian Ball

Brian Ball Member

Because of the wonky weather this year I am concerned after going through all the stuff for it this spring and early summer. There have been frost warnings somewhat north of here and the temp at night is apparantly dropping.
    After all of this I think it would prudent to bring it in early? Especially as though I will be away on holiday starting 12 september.

Comments pls?

again my sincere thanks for your help!
    Brian

6. Millet

There is no problem with bringing the tree inside. Many container citrus tree spend every day of their lives indoors. The two most important items for your tree during the fall and winter months are: 1). Keep the root zone at or above 64F. If the tree starts any leaf drop, raise the container temperature up to 70F. 2). Keep a constant alert to insure that the growth medium maintains excellent drainage. If you don't have a soil thermometer buy one. The containers medium will always be cooler then the room temperature, due to evaporation. Have a good time on your vacation. - Millet (1,238-)

7. Brian Ball

Brian Ball Member

Since I bought this tree inside there is now new growth on it. According to my stepmom this tree should blossom the end of October. Is this correct for a tree located inside? I have repotted this tree again also.

Comments please
    Many thanks
    Brian Ball

8. Millet

Brian, if your tree has acquired the required number of cool hours, it will bloom fairly soon. Other wise the tree will bloom in the spring. - Millet (1,181-)

9. Brian Ball

Brian Ball Member

Thanks so much for the information Millet. Does this tree if it does not bloom require the same or different differentation as last year? 600Hrs

Kind regards
    Brian

10. Millet