Spider Mites

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Tripp, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Tripp

Tripp Member

I have an indoor meyer lemon, and it has spider mites. The tree is in relatively good shape, but i've noticed alot more spider activity on the tree. I've read that spraying the tree with water will get rid of them, but it's practically winter where i live so that is not an option.

I also have neem oil, but am a little confused about its effectiveness. I've heard that it is more of a preventative treatment, rather than a "Kill those darn suckers!" treatment. Would it be better to use neem oil, or to buy a pesticide that will kill spider mites? Any recommendations?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd reccomend Safer's Insecticidal Soap, which you can usually find at Wally World or Canadian Tire in the gardening section. Neem oil can be quite effective, but if you're not spot-on about your strengths it can burn the tree. Safer's, in my experience, kills them dead dead dead and doesn't harm the tree at all.

The other thing to do, prevention-wise, is to install a humidifier in the room that the citrus is living in. Higher humidity discourages mite development.