How Long to Wait for Fruit - Indoor Dwarf Citrus

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by bw21638, Jul 1, 2006.

1. bw21638

bw21638 Member

I am perhaps one of the least experienced people when it comes to plants, but a few years ago i purchased from Gurnee's 3 dwarf indoor citrus plants - lemon, lime, and orange. I've had them for about 3 years now, and they are actually growing very well...a few different times I've lost leaves but it was due to watering issues and I've been much better about being consistent. They each average 2 feet in height from top of the pot to the height of the tallest leaf. I don't fertilize or do anything special other than water and take care of them.

My question - I have never gotten fruit or even flowers. Am I doing something wrong? Or, maybe am I not doing something I should be? Silly, but do I need to help them pollenate or something? :) I read somewhere when I got them that it takes 1-2 years for fruit to show up, but I've got nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

First thing you are doing wrong is not fertilizing the poor tree, and for over three years to boot! Second, no one can answer this question with assurance untill it is known whether the trees are grafted trees, seedlings trees, or rooted cuttings. Over the years I have not heard very many encouraging remarks about Gurney's citrus. - Millet

3. bw21638

bw21638 Member

Thanks Millet! Is there any way for me to know about whether they are grafted, seedlings, or rooted cuttings? Again, sorry to sound ingnorant, but can I figure that out somehow?

4. bw21638

bw21638 Member

One more quick question - any "magic" fertilizer good for these indoor citrus trees? What is the general favorite out there? Thanks!!

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The perfect formula would have a ration of 5-1-3 w/trace minerals. However that ratio is hard to find. You can find a fertilizer with the formula 30-10-10 with trace minerals, at almost any nursery, Home Depot, and many hardware stores. Be sure that the fertilizrer also contains trace minerals. These will be listed on the carton, as Iron (Fe), Manganese (Mn), Zinc (Zn) and so forth. Fertilize the tree once a month, at the rate recommended on the carton. If the tree is a grafted, and hopefully it is, it will have a bend and or a wound healing line about 4-6 inches above the soil on the trunk. Also the size of the trunk below the bend/wound line might be larger in size. If the tree is truly a "dwarf" citrus tree then it should be grafted, and it should be grafted onto a rootstock called Flying Dragon, or Cuban. There is no way to acertain if it is a seedling or a rooted cutting. You can call Gurney's and ask them. If the tree is grafted it should have had some blooms this year. However, having never been feed, it is very easy to understand why it not bloom. Take cre. - MIllet