Japanese Maple Bark Related Issues

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mjh1676, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Squeezied

Squeezied Active Member

I think my Sango Kaku is showing symptons of Tight Bark. I bought this tree last May and I've already noticed some of the discolorations since then. Now that all the leaves have fallen, it's much more noticeable. Please see my original thread for more pictures: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=286947#post286947

Can someone confirm that it really is tight bark? If so, am I to prune it off?

Attached Files:

2. Francis

Francis Active Member

Hello
    Well i will take advantage of this post to ask if this Bhioo have some signs of some kind of fungus?
    The dieback just keep showing again and again, i prune about 1/2 cm below the afected area but some days later the black spot apear again.
    Another problem is a brown blemish that is apering in the bark of my Akane
    Anyone had similar situations?

Thank You.

Attached Files:

3. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

My bihou (or however it is spelled) is not a strong cultivar with lots of dieback.
    Its sheltered in the winter, so I just think it's a weaker cultivar than some others. It's only pretty to me without leaves.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This was posted in the Bi hoo thread in the photo gallery, might be some help:

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I posted a message in this thread about an Arakawa that was sick (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=252871&postcount=83)

I finaly cut most of the tree, just above the graft: there was a small bud that wasn't open yet. I then applied copper sulphate on the cut and sealed it with cut paste (the one for bonsai).

And it survived! The new shoot was over a metre high at the end of 2011 and the tree looked healthy.

This winter I lost several of my maples : the bark turned black, and the few leaves that were beginning to open soon blackened and died.

But this Arakawa puzzles me: it had the same symptoms (black bark), but it leafed out normally. Very strange, and I don't have too much hope for this one either...

Attached Files:

6. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

I'd like to address this post to mjh1676, mr.shep, and any others who have had experience with Tight Bark. First I would like to thank you for your highly informative posts. I'd never heard of this condition before last week when I read your posts from 2006. I think the two Moonfire I planted 5 years ago were most probably infected with Tight Bark when I got them. The symptoms seem to most closely resemble that condition, (rather than others that I've researched and discounted.) These trees were beautiful and seemed very healthy for the first few years. If there were any symptoms during that time I failed to notice them. I'm usually pretty good about sterilizing my pruning tools, but I must admit that in my enthusiasm I occasionally forget. I think that I'm paying the price for that carelessness. I'm posting two macro photos of the damage on the 2 Moonfire (same trees as in my initial photos in another thread,) and then one macro of an Ogurayama that I probably pruned with the same tool without properly disinfecting it. You can see that I've spread the condition to that cultivar too. My question concerns what action I need to take now. If I dig up and burn the three infected trees, should I, or should I not plant new ones in the holes in which they were planted? I learned a great deal from your posts, but am still not sure of the pathogen that causes this condition, or if it can be passed on from the soil.

Attached Files: