Identification: bolete?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by TimA, Oct 19, 2007.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

If this is obvious I apologize; I am new to Vancouver and even newer to mushroom hunting! I believe it is a bolete of some kind - the smell was very mild, they didn't seem to bruise when cut, although there was some discoloration on one where it had been gnawed, and I found them under/beside a fallen tree which was in a very advanced state of decay. The red in the stem started to fade fairly quickly.

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

from the looks of it yes....boletes have the 'porus' undersides....would like to know which one u have though! cool

3. TimA

TimA Active Member

After a bit of research, I'm thinking either Zeller's bolete, or porcino nero (if they have that here).

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...i was looking at Boletus mirabilis?

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

the porcino looks much thicker stemmed? and i couldn't find Zeller's bolete? is there another name for that one?

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

You are thinking of Boletus zelleri.

7. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Very...nice!!! never found in Italy... B.zelleri

Nico

8. TimA

TimA Active Member

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

great site of images....the basics i know on u'r 'unidentified mushrooms'......28./3./4. are all of the mycena family.....26. is Golden Clavaria...a coral mushroom........17. i THINK is called Orange Spindle Coral....same family..........and i THINK 7./18. is called Chicken of the Woods.....a type of jelly mushroom.....sorry i'm not much help...but u might want to check THIS site? has great pics with names http://americanmushrooms.com/gallerycommon.htm#misc

carla

10. ginsenghamster

ginsenghamster Active Member 10 Years

Admiral bolete. We find this all the time when mushroom hunting. All our local bolete are attacked by gnat or fly of some description which lays its eggs. The resulting larvae work their way up the stem into cap. We slice the stem until we don't see the larvae trails. Remove the sponge/pore layer before cooking or drying. Slice thin before drying. Taste is more pungent when dried. Great for sauces and gravies or for the ultimate omlette.

We check the worm content of the mushroom at the site. If too wormy the mushroom is placed back onto the mother stump so the spores are not lost to the forest eco. The good ones are brought home and processed.

Removing the sponge pore requires a knack...but the more you play with it the slime factor increases.

11. takaya49

takaya49 Member