Apple tree pruning

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by rumleyfips, Jun 10, 2013.

1. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

I have some old apple tree that I have brought back into ( limited) production over the past few years. Pruning has increased the size of the apples and brown bags keep them worm free. Luckily they are not scabby altough some have brown soft spot on the flesh inside. I'm not going to spray.

Some branches produce no blossoms and no fruit. Will these branches produce in future years or can they be removed with no implications for the future?

John

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

You could remove unproductive branches if you desire.

Perhaps you could find out what type of apples you are growing.
    That will determine what type of pruning you will do next January, to
    promote more fruit.

Also, wait until January/February before you spray your lime sulphur on the apple trees. Don't do it now.

3. Ryan K

Ryan K Member

Fruit trees generally produce fruit on buds which are one year old, so the buds could have been removed during pruning last year. I personally would wait and see next year if they produce fruit. If they do not, I would just cut them out (provided you are not removing more than 15% of the foliage).

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you are pruning heavily to reshape the tree, it will produce more water sprouts and non-fruiting growth for while. However, apple trees can be forced into more flower bud production by girdling the tree. I've done this around the time the tree was blooming, and it was very successful for an old tree that had not been pruned for years. The girdle should be only 1/8" to 1/4" wide, depending on the diameter of the tree or branch. You can experiment with girdling selected branches if you feel that it is too drastic a measure for the whole tree. It's not too late to give it a try this year.