Poppies Self-seeding?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by flowercents, Feb 2, 2009.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Do all varieties of poppies (eschscholtzia) reseed themselves?

Do Papaver rhoeas reseed? The Shirley Double in particular?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Yes and no... yours will, spread the seed in the fall or spring...to extend the bloom season... you can remove seed heads for more blooms at the expense of next seasons seeds, or balance to two.

3. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

I only grow Papaver rhoeas and P. somniferum and both reseed very well for me. I get seedlings coming up in both the fall and spring and my bloom season lasts into July here in Eastern WA. The Shirley cross very easily among each other as do the Breadseed (Opium) poppies and you will have some the same color and some different. As to whether they come out double or single is as variable as the color :)
    This Shirley poppy is red with white margins and self-sown of course in last years garden. The picture was taken on July 1st and I guarantee nobody had one bloom just like it!! These kind of surprises are very unique and welcomed!! All my seed originally came from trading and I've had some come double and single in the Shirley as well as "peony" type blooms (as they are known as) in the Opium Poppies. I couldn't stand a year with out them!

Enjoy your poppies :)

PS. I wanted to mention also that although I don't grow the California Poppies (Eschscholzia californica), they grow native in my region and self-seed themselves year after year!

Attached Files: