Do Papaver somniferum seeds need a cold period before planting?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Davidm, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

do P. somniferum seeds need any cold period before they are planted?I have seed that I just bought and not quite sure what they need.

2. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

Re: Poppies Self-seeding?

I really don't think they need a cold period since I always get new seedlings popping up in the fall before winter. When I do sow them however, I always scatter them where I want them to grow usually around Thanksgiving with the first snowfall. I did winter-sow some in containers this year ('Lauren's Grape' and 'Danish Flag') just to see how well they do with transplanting....I plan to transplant them when no bigger than 2nd set of true-leaves.

3. Davidm

Well then,in zone 5, about when would be a good time to start them indoors?

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Poppies don't transplant well, meaning any disturbance of the roots and they don't grow.

I have found planting when the ground is clear works just fine, probably in April in Zone 5. I have never really decided what are ideal germination conditions, but ample spreading of the seed usually results in far too many plants. Thinning to about a foot apart makes for large flowering plants.

5. Davidm

thanks

6. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

I grow several varities of P. somniferum each year and start them in trays under lights. Each cell is reduced to only one plant and the whole cell is dropped in a hole when transplanted outdoors. This works very well although there will be some roots that continue to circle a nonexsistent pot.

7. Davidm

Thanks cowboy,Thats what I was thinking of doing.About how long is it between the time you plant the seed inside and when you plant them outside.

8. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

You can treat them like bedding plants as long as you don't bare root them and then repot. You can just pot them into larger containers after a while. By error, I have broken apart a communal pot and repotted. There were a couple of losses but it worked overall. In general I would get the plants out the pots after 4 to 5 weeks depending on the pot size.

Put in a few extra seeds and experiment to see what treatment they can handle.

9. Davidm

4 or 5 weeks,guess I'll wait another month before starting them then.I have some deeproot pot that I bought other plants in.Maybe I'll just plant them in there.They'll have plenty of room for roots.Thanks