A good, beautiful clumping bamboo for a hedge?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Kevinm, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Hi There,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, clumping (or relatively non-agressive running) bamboo that would make a beautiful hedge?

Ideally, I would love black bamboo. The only variety that seems to fit the bill is Ph. Nigra "Othelo", which is tough to source.

I would also be open to other bamboo suggestions. It's adjacent to our outdoor patio area so hopefully you can suggest something visually stunning.

Thanks everyone. I learn a TON from this forum!

2. dghicks

dghicks Member

Much depends on your situation: how tall do you want the hedge to be? Is the site located in sun, part sun, or shade? The clumping varieties that are hardy in Vancouver prefer shade/part shade (depending on species) and the generally speaking, attain to a height of around 15'. Look into the genus Fargesia for the broadest selection: also (again, this depends on the site) check out Yushania anceps (Arundinaria anceps)...very beautiful clumper, 12' tall, hardy to @-18, likes part shade.

3. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Thanks so much dghicks. I'll check out both of those specimens!

All the best!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nigra is running, is not good for hedges because it bends over when wet. Anceps is also semi-running, rather than strictly clumping; it is also slightly tender. Fargesia robusta is fairly sun tolerant. The Miller Botanical Garden has a Chusquea culeou hedge that looks pretty good.

5. dghicks

dghicks Member

Chusquea is another good genus to look into, for sure. Chusquea culeou is nice, but its hardiness varies fairly dramatically, depending on the clone; some are hardy to only -9(ish), others down around -18 (celsius)..if you go this route, be mindful of the source. Yushania anceps leaves can be tender, but will grow back, and while it is indeed a pachymorph that also runs, it spreads slowly.

6. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Hi Folks,

Chusquea culeou is quite lovely. I'll take a look more closely.

Any ideas for sourcing in Vancouver?