any kind of help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by email4pat, Jun 6, 2013.

1. email4pat

email4pat New Member

CIMG0036 - Copy.jpg

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

it is a cactus . Please let me know common or scientific name

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Neither is really a cactus. The big plant is either Kalanchoe luciae or Kalanchoe thyrsiflora--they look very similar, you need flowers to tell them apart. Not sure on the last one.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Surely one of the variegated Echeveria cultivars.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Kalanchoe thrysifolia
    Echeveria hybrid

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Eric, I am lucky enough to be sitting in th uk with a gentleman who has seen both species of kalanchoes in habitat (madagascar) and in cultivation; he says k thrysifolia. Me, I'm glad to learn a bit.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll make things a bit more confusing, maybe.

1) No such thing as Kalanchoe thyrsifolia -- a thyrse is a type of inflorescence, so K. thyrsiflora would be correct, BUT...

2) Kalanchoe thyrsiflora is now recognized as being a synonym of Kalanchoe tetraphylla, so that is the name that should be used.

8. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Both Echeveria and Aeonium are rosette-leaved succulents in the Crassulaceae. Aeonium species are primarily Canary Islands endemics, while Echeveria is a Central American genus. From what I recall (of an admittedly small sample), Echeveria have one to many usually one-sided, axillary, unbranched or sparsely branched inflorescences (cincinni), with 5-merous, fleshy flowers usually in shades of orange or pink, while Aeonium usually have a radially symmetric, terminal paniculate inflorescence (thryrses, I think) (one per rosette) with up-facing 6- to 12-merous, flimsy yellow flowers. Although probably not universal traits, the leaves of Echeveria are thicker, shorter, less fibrous and more boat-shaped. I'm happy to be corrected on the characteristics of these fascinating plants.