Concorde or Muscat?? Pls Identify...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jontih, Jun 9, 2013.

1. jontih

jontih New Member

Hi everybody,

I am new here. Great site.

Can someone help me to identify the variety of a grapevine, imported from Australia by a friend. He gave me a few seedlings recently but as an amateur hobbyist, I don't feel happy until I can identify the variety. I am very keen to know which variety it belongs to. I thought it is Concorde but the underside of the the leaf doesn't suggest as Concorde as it is not 'wooly' as my other vitis labrusca (Isabella) leaf. It's more like vitis vinifera but the fruit characteristics inclined more to Concorde (slipskin, bluish black when ripe). The tendril is pinkish red. Attached are few photos taken.
    Thank you in advance.

redards,
    Jontih Enggihon, Malaysia
    website - http://jongrapevines.blogspot.com

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Concorde of Muscat?? Pls Identify...

If these are seedlings as in plants raised from seed they won't be the same named cultivars, except where a cultivar might be considered a seed strain that breeds true - probably not usually the case with grapes.

3. jontih

jontih New Member

Re: Concorde of Muscat?? Pls Identify...

I was told that it was shipped in from Australia, the whole grapevine, three to be exact, packed in a contenna and brought to Malaysia, at least 10 yrs ago. I never have the chance to meet the guy who imported them. A friend (know nothing about grape, and never bother to know the variety) of him took a cutting and planted it in his backyard 4 years ago and now fruiting heavily. So it must be the original variety/cultivar.

Ah, forgot to mention, the grape is sweet, seeded (2 seeds) and very resistant.
    -jon

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, these will have to be identified by the fruits.