Nettles or what?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by catwomban, Jun 7, 2013.

1. catwomban

catwomban New Member

Hi there, I am needing some help identifying this plant. I think it is a common stinging nettle, but there are other plants that look similar and I do not want to consume the wrong plant. This plant is young and does not sting me.. Is this a nettle? I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. zone 2 I think.. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Definitely not nettles - they have leaves in opposite pairs, not alternate like this.

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

if you are looking for stinging nettles as medicine i recommend getting some seeds and growing your own. i both grow and use them myself. the fresh leaves can be rubbed on arthritic hands knees and feet to relieve pain, hurts at first but after a few minutes its gone and i have total mobility for up to 12 hrs. the plant is grown indoors as a companion plant to my medical marijuana,( grown under exemption as i am currently fighting for my life) the stinging nettles trick the female med plants into believing a male is in the room,(pheromones) causing them to get very sticky...
    the reason i recommend growing your own is because they usually grow in waste areas, near dog walks,(pee) and where cats frequently spray. besides the local wildlife, there is pollution and dumping...just best to know where ones medicine comes from to be sure of the quality. if you personal message me, i will send you seeds free of charge. peace.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nettles come armed right out of the ground.

5. stone

stone Active Member

Looks like salvia...

possibly Salvia guaranitica.

do you have pictures of the clump in the garden?

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Definitely not Salvia - they have leaves in opposite pairs, not alternate like this.

7. catwomban

catwomban New Member

Thank you! Here is a pic of the cluster.. I don't think its Salvia guaranitica, I don't think the flowers look like that..

Attached Files:

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

May need to wait until flowers, if no replies affirming the identity.