Hardy Citrus for British Columbia

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by mr.shep, Oct 15, 2005.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Greg ... Just so happens I was at Bob Duncans' place today.

Meyer Lemon and Washington Navel are two pics I have from his place. One of Bob himself too.
    (Any new stuff I should know about?)

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

Attached Files:

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Barrie, he is quite the pioneer isn't he? Thanks for the photos. Did you buy anything from his stock? I will have to decide what I will part with. I am around 32 varieties at the moment. Send me a PM text time you are traveling to the mainland...

Greg

3. LPN

Greg ... I didn't buy anything mainly because there where 50 people on this garden tour and time was tight. I do intend on returning soon though.

As far as travel to the mainland, you know me, it can happen at a moments notice. I'd imagine weekends would be more convenient for you?

Cheers, Barrie.

4. LPN

I did get a couple more citrus for my collection from GregN.
    Sudachi and Yuzu, two promising citrus for my coldframe.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

Attached Files:

5. Gregn

Baton down the hatches! My citrus protection is going into full gear. With a taste of winter scheduled to arrive over the weekend, now is the time to prepare. I will be leaving a Dunstan Citrumelo totally exposed, and a Morton Citrange , Dunstan Grapefruit and a Nippon orangequat will have minimal protection (no heat).
    So far, the forecast lows will be dropping to -6c (21f). I think the more important figure is the forecast highs will stay below freezing.

Greg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  6. LPN

I agree Greg ... a cold spell like we haven't seen in quite some time is headed down our way (Thanks Alaska). I have moved all the smaller one and two gallon citrus specimen into my crawl space, lighted on a timer. It's mainly about 10°C (50°F) in that crawl space. Once these get on in size and planted in the cold frame I won't be too concerned.
    Our biggest hurdle will be the duration of this wintery blast. Once again our zone 8 climate shows it's ugly face.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Barrie, reading your post gave me a chuckle. Evidently you guys say "Thanks Alaska" when you get bitter weather. Around here it is common to say "Thanks Canada". I wonder what they say in Mexico? Good luck to your trees. - Millet

8. LPN

Gracias por el maÌ n tiempo ... but the worst would be the hurricanes there. Thankfully we don't get those.

Cheers, Barrie.

9. sprocket

sprocket Member

I'm wondering if there's a good time to propagate citrus from cuttings? (ie. is now a good time or should one wait till next spring?) I've got a Meyer lemon that I'd like to try propagating.

I've had a hard time tracking down sources for new varieties in Vancouver itself - any recommendations on garden shops that have a good selection? Or is there a citrus cutting club out there that's willing to accept new members? :)

10. Gregn

Sprocket, Personally I have not done much in the way of propagation of citrus - though lemons are amongst the easiest to grow from cuttings - apparently. Most all my collection is on grafted rootstock. There are some very good tutorials available on the WEB explaining the process. You can get 1 gallon meyers locally for around $20 - so I am not sure its worth the time or effort to try propagating your own cuttings in our short growing season. On the other hand, rare varieties not available in local garden centres would be worth it.

As a side note, My in-ground meyers have really taken of this year adding nearly 10 inches of growth - if not more. My changsha mandarins, pomelo X trifoliate and Sudachi are also performing well.

There is a garden Centre at the foot of Knight street in Richmond has lemons, limes and Calamondens.

Greg

11. sprocket

sprocket Member

Thanks for the tips, Greg. Do you happen to recall the name of the nursery?

12. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Hey Sprocket,
    There is a place in South Burnaby called Sun Tai that sells some citrus trees. I picked up a Cocktail Grapefruit and a Tangor there. They had a Cara Cara orange tree that I'm kicking myself for not getting. They still have some Bearass limes and one more Cocktail Grapefruit I think. They are located on Marine way just West of Byrne Rd. There is also a place called Phoenix Perrenials on #6 rd in Richmond. I'm interested in knowing the place at the foot of Knight St in richmond also ...
    Ryan

13. LPN

It used to be called TKY Nursery 10 years ago and was Asian owned. Perhaps it's still in the same hands.

Cheers, LPN.

14. Gregn

The name is TKY Nursery (?) ...if you were to go through the intersection of Westminster Hwy and knight (& across the ditch) you would be in their parking lot. Access the frontage road from the east or west...

One of the owners, Carolyn propagates some of her own stock. They grow the calamondins primarily for Chinese New Year. One of the moderators on the Citrus growers forum, Joe Real, makes delicious wine from his calamondin citrus tree fruit. These trees are also quite cold tolerant (around -7c) and should perform well outside here in protected south facing, full sun locations. The fruit is sour / tart (acidic) - my kids will eat them right off the tree. (and no you are NOT getting poisoned :)

Greg

15. LPN

Hey Greg ... that Ventura Lemandrin you gave me is about to flower. One bud at the top of the central stem. I'll snap a pic when it opens.

Cheers, Barrie.

16. Gregn

Barrie, was that a seedling or cutting of the Ventura Lemandarin? Good to hear its doing well.

I am going over to Port Alberni next month and hopefully you will be around. I would like to see your greenhouse and maybe buy a palm or two...

Greg

17. LPN

Greg ... I seem to recall you telling me it's a seedling. Seems rather odd that a seedling would flower at this stage of development. Not completely unheard of though.

PM or e-mail me regarding your Island visit and we'll work some time in for you.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

18. Davida

Davida New Member

Hi Greg, I am new to the world of growing citrus, especially cold hardy varieties, I was wondering how your citrus varieties are doing outdoors, and if i could try the fruit you have growing?? ( i do have yuzu bought last year that did fine outdoors all winter, never tried the fruit) I have several varieties of citrus, and buying more next month. some varieties i have never tried, it would be better to know before hand. I bought a Palestine sweet lime never having tried it and it ok but not very interesting.