Identify, so I don't lose my tree!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by SamyJane, Jun 30, 2008.

1. SamyJane

SamyJane Member

fungus tree.jpg

johnny 004.jpg

johnny 003.jpg
    Hello! I am extremely new at pretending to know what I'm doing when it comes to gardening. It is therapy for me. Hope you can help.....
    I was told the tree I purchased is a cassia. If you think different, please let me know. It should have yellow flowers, would attrack butterflies(eggs attached to bottom of leaves) and grow about 15 feet. My tree was planted by my Boys in memory of our family dog of 17 years so I really can't lose this tree. I have already applied, only once, immunox 3-1 by spectracide. The local nursery recommended it.??????
    Here is the problem...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Re: please read,need help,CONFUSED!!!(photos)

Your plant has a ferocious infestation of scale insects. Very difficult to treat. You may need to physically remove them all with a stiff brush. Insecticide won't work quickly enough.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Scale insects.

The black on the leaves is sooty mould growing on their droppings ('honeydew').

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

This genus has many fairly short lived species.
    You might consider collecting seeds as insurance against the day it inevitably dies.

Regard
    Chris

5. Maplesforme

Maplesforme Member

I read an article that you could use Hartz dog flea shampoo for scale on palms. It might be worth it try a little patch on your plant.

6. SamyJane

SamyJane Member

thank you. Now that I know what they are, I put gloves on and rubbed the stems and leaves, took off the yellow leaves and already I have a lot of new growth. I did also use a product called Immunox 3-1.
    We shall see.

Thank you