growing fruit trees in a small back yard

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by shazi, Jul 13, 2007.

1. shazi

shazi Member

Hi

This fall we plan to plant some fruit trees in our back yard.

Our yard measures 10 meters x 10 meters.

I'd like to get your input on how many fruit trees can be grown in this space.

We are thinking of planting three trees - a sour cherry tree, an apricot tree and a peach or nectarine tree. Would this overcrowd the backyard in years to come?

Also is there any other aspect of growing fruit trees to keep in mind before we set out?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Your list is all stone fruits, these are the most difficult to grow. Inquire locally about regional suitability, the apricot in particular I wonder about being possible there. Apple trees are generally the most satisfactory.

3. shazi

shazi Member

Thanx Ron for your reply.

We went to the nursery and purchased an Evans sour cherry tree. They did tell us that peach, nectarine and apricot trees are not hardy to our region.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Applenut

Applenut Active Member

I'd plant at least 16 trees there spaced 6 to 8 feet apart and keep them managable by summer pruning. An apple espalier Belgian fence between you and the neighbor with the trees spaced 18 inches is also an option. Planting this many varieties will enable successive ripening and allow you an extended harvest. We stuffed them in our suburban backyard like this and have been pleased with the result.

To see more on backyard orchard culture, click on http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/BOC_explained.html

6. shazi

shazi Member

Thanx Liz and Applenut for your replies. Growing 16 trees in a small space is a new concept! Its a very tempting one too... If it were not for the fact that we had a fence put in last year I would have maybe considered growing 16 fruit trees. I really like the idea.

Thanx for the links - there was useful information. Now that we have bought the Evan cherry tree I'm wondering if I should plant it now and prune it before planting - any advice?