kumquat tree not bearing fruit

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by likeachild, Jun 15, 2007.

1. likeachild

likeachild Member

I have a kumquat tree that is about 3 years old. when I bought it from the nursery, it had edible fruit on it. now, the plant is about 7-8 feet tall, but all the fruit that it bears is very sour, with a bitter skin. the taste is so bad that all the fruit is pretty much unedible.

Is something wrong with this plant?

is there special fertilizer or anything I need to use?
    thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

So it is bearing fruit, the problem is that you don't like them. Did the ones it came with originally taste better? It sounds like it shot right up. I wonder if it was grafted and the rootstock took over and took off, its fruits being what you are encountering now.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That fits with the Kumquats I've tried from shops. Not a fruit that is enjoyable to eat as it is. Never seen them as anything other than a fruit for making marmelade, like Seville Oranges.

4. likeachild

likeachild Member

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

If the rootstock has take over, and it is trifoliate, the leaves would be very different--3 lobes per leaf--also probably has many long thorns--most kumquat do not have long thorns.

There are 3 varieties of kumquat that I know of, miewa and nagami are the only 2 that I am familiar with--The one you have pictured is nagami and is more oblong than the miewa--which is closer to round. I have a miewa and like eating a few fresh every day during the fall and winter while they are on the tree.

Climate can have significant effects on taste of citrus--our miewa has a sweet--sour taste--the peel is sweet, but the pulp is sour.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Skeet, my Miewa's peel is sweet and the pulp is also sweet. - Millet

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I've come across a number of documents that say calamondin is commonly used as a rootstock for kumquat. In such instances rootstock growth is more likely to go undetected because of the similarity of the leaves. The round shape of the your fruit is consistent with that of younger calamondin fruit. However, unlike your experience, I find them rather tasty (though sour) if allowed to mature on the tree - sweet peel, sour pulp.

How big are the fruit? Do they have a thin or thick peel?

skeeterbug,
    It was some time ago that I tasted the meiwa; I do not recall tasting anything but sweet - possibly the best tasting citrus fruit I've ever had.

8. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I am not certain of the variety of my kumquat-- It was given to me years ago, before I really got into citrus. It is not the shape of nagami for sure, my fruits are almost round or spherical. The description of Marumi is similar as for shape, but the color of Marumi is listed as golden yellow and the ones on my tree are yellow orange. Marumi is also described as somewhat thorny, while my tree is pretty much thornless.

Based on the descriptions I have found, I still think I have a Miewa but think that climate may be the difference in the taste. I still like what we have and we eat all the fruit that my 6 ft tree can produce each year.

9. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I an not certain of the variety of my kumquat-- It was given to me years ago, before I really got into citrus. It is not the shape of nagami for sure, my fruits are almost round or spherical. The description of Marumi is similar as for shape, but the color of Marumi is listed as golden yellow and the ones on my tree are yellow orange. Marumi is also described as somewhat thorny, while my tree is pretty much thornless.

Based on the descriptions I have found, I still think I have a Miewa but think that climate may be the difference in the taste. I still like what we have and we eat all the fruit that my 6 ft tree can produce each year.

Skeet

10. likeachild

likeachild Member

skeeterbug, I took some pictures of the plant.
    It is like you said: trifoliate, and many long thorns.

[​IMG]

leaves

[​IMG]

branches

[​IMG]

fruit sizes: 4.6, 3.5, 2.6 cm

[​IMG]

fruit

does anybody have a guess as to what rootstock has taken over?
    I'm not sure if it's calamondin or not.

If I buy another kumquat plant, what do I have to do to prevent the rootstock from taking over again? I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I think my father used fertilizer on the plant.

11. Junglekeeper

It does appear to be Poncirus trifoliata or Trifoliate Orange rootstock. No wonder you described the fruit as being inedible. The way to prevent the rootstock from taking over is to remove any new growth that appears below the graft. If caught early, it can simply be rubbed off using your fingers.

Is there anything left if you were to prune away all the trifoliate growth? It would be a shame if you had to start all over with a new tree.

12. likeachild

likeachild Member

I'll go look at the tree tomorrow morning.

thanks to everybody for helping me!

13. Junglekeeper

I should correct myself by saying the rootstock may not be exactly what I suggested; there are other types of trifoliate rootstocks such as citrange.

14. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Junglekeeper is right-- that last picture is definitely a trifoliate rootstock (leaf with 3 lobes).

As Junglekeeper said, you can cut back any of the trifoliate and force all of the growth into the kumquat or you can graft the trifoliate shoots with other varieties if you can get the budwood. Grafting is fun and easy-- with large rootstock you probably need to use the Bark grafting method. If you are interested I can give you a link to a good pictorial.

Skeet

15. likeachild

likeachild Member

I'm willing to try grafting, Skeet.
    the pictorial would be great.
    thanks in advance.

16. wildredbear

wildredbear Member

I have the same issue having the 3-leaf rootstock with huge thorns taking over. A friend recently gave me a rootbound kumquat plant that evidentally had the kumquat graft die off leaving only the trifoliate rootstock with the hugh thorns. It has a dozen or so limbs that look just like the pictures above.

Where can I find pictures of the Miewa leaves to make sure I purchase that variety?

I'm considering grafting a harty Miewa cutting into the top of my current rootstock. Any chance you could forward the info on bark grafting my way?

17. Junglekeeper

Have a look here.

18. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

19. 02586463

02586463 Member

I need help as my kumquat trees don't bear fruit this year.
    i moved into my new house last year. There were two kumquat trees that full of fruit. I pruned both of them by cutting some leaves from top and sides. The trees grow very well except no fuit this year. Can anyone please tell me what I've done wrong. P.S. I live in melbourne australia. Thanks.

20. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Pruning is not recommended for citrus, except to control the size of container plants to keep them within a limited space. As I look at my kumquats, most of the fruit are on the end of the existing limbs. If you do not prune it again, I think you will have fruits next year.

Skeet

21. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Skeeter is correct. All citrus trees, including Kumquats, produce buds which form on the newest growth. Citrus buds, including Kumquat buds, are originally programed to produce only foliage and not fruit. However, if enough cold hours (stress) are experienced by the tree during the winter months the buds go through a process called differentiation, whereby the bud changes from a foliage bud into a flower bud that will bloom and produces fruit. When you pruned your Kumquat tree you removed the buds. One of the important buds that you cut from the tree, when you pruned, was the terminal bud (apical bud). This will cause the branch to once again grow all new buds starting from the cut end of the branch back about 4 inches. However, this will delay any production for a season. In the future, if you do not prune the tree, and if you provide the proper care (irrigation, fertilization etc) your Kumquat should bloom and fruit next year. - Millet

22. 02586463

02586463 Member

Many thanks to Skeeter and Millet for the professional advice. I looked at my kumquats this morning and found new buds just came out from the foliages. Hopefully I'll get some fruit next year.