Any tips for growing gourds?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Debra Dunaway, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Just wondering if anyone swears by any special techniques they have tried in the past? any tricks?

2. Seathrill

Seathrill Member

I grow gourds, and my tip is one I learned from the Florida Gourd Society show one year.......my yard does NOT have very good soil, I was told to buy bags of Black Kow and place the bags where I wanted to plant my gourds. You set the bag down, slice open the bottom of each for drainage, set the bag back up, slice the top open, and push the top down, plant 5 seeds in the bag, punch or slice holes all around the bags for drainage, water the seeds well every day until they come up. When the seedlings get about 5 inches tall, at ground level pinch off all but your best 2 plants. Water your plants every day and as needed, NO weeds, and the Black Kow is natural composted cow manure so no fertilizing needed ! I grow all my gourds this way and they do wonderfully well grown in a bag of Black Kow. You can only grow 2 plants in each bag. I love to grow gourds and make crafts and birdhouses out of them !

3. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

That is an excellent trick! Reminds me of the red tomato growing bags you can get.

I used to grow ornamental gourds all the time...I grew them like any squash, usually put them in a hugely sunny spot, planted two vines per small hill, and while they always fruited no matter how neglected, do best if they get regular, deep watering and fertilizing.

One problem was that they trailed all over the place and took up too much room. You can train them up stout netting.