Identification: Please help! My daughter chewed this plant. Pothos Plant? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by umbertor, May 6, 2015.

1. umbertor

umbertor Member

Can anyone tell me what kind of plant this is?

My 1year old daughter and I visited mommy at work and I caught her chewing the leaf but I'm not sure if she swallowed any parts, I took out the chewed leaf from her mouth. I've looked high and low and to me it looks like a Pothos plant, which is poisonous and is worrying me.

Can anyone help me with identifying this? Is this dangerous? Should I take her to a hospital?

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Not a Pothos.
    Looks like an aroid, maybe Spathiphyllum. These plants contain oxalate and can cause irritation...how long ago did your daughter chew the plant? Is she showing any signs of discomfort or illness? Inflammation of mouth? Diarrhea/vomiting? Sounds as if you got it away from her before much if any was ingested.
    If she exhibits none of these symptoms and shows no unusual behavior, think that she will probably be OK---however, DO see a doctor if this will ease your worry!
    Hope all is well.

3. umbertor

umbertor Member

Yes she is VERY agitated, something is wrong. She chewed it 50minutes ago. We are taking her to the hospital for a checkup right now.

Attached Files:

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Please let us know what happens!