Wat Amounts Do I Put In My Risen veg Patch ??

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by gpenen, Feb 15, 2007.

1. gpenen

gpenen Member

I decided I wanted to have a veg patch and a risen 1 at that. So i did research for about a week on wat was best to make it with and the actual making a maintaining of it .

So first i made the frame with bricks 11 ft by 5ft i was building it on a lawn so i vut the lawn up and turned it upside down to try to stop the grass underneath growing then i put a thick layer of newspapers down and watered it well but in all my research i COUND NOT FIND ANYTHING ON THE AMOUNTS I SUD USE EG SOIL COMPOST SAND ?????????????????????

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Buy or dig up some good soil and fill it with that. Sample and have analyzed to see what nutrients may need to be added, if any.

3. gpenen

gpenen Member

thanks i added a 2 bags of soil that i hav had sitting after digging in the garden and i allso added 3 bags of compost and some sand for the carrots is this rite???

sud i add mor soil ??

wat are the benifits of having worms in my veg patch???

i appeciate it thanks :)

4. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

How deep is this raised bed? I would fill it up to near the top with good quality soil. Do you have a source near your that may deliver a yard of soil? About the worms, they are very beneficial, they break up and compost vegetation in the bed, and what they leave behind is garden gold (worm castings or poo). They also aid in aeration as they tunnel through the bed they aerate the soil. You know your soil is fairly good if it has earthworms. Janet

5. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://xrl.us/utu9

Have a look at this thread. There are many pictures depicting the method of preparing a vegetable bed.

Durgan.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. gpenen

gpenen Member

its About 2 bricks high and 11ft long and 6ft wide ( i thought i wud start small) i put 3 bags of compost in it and about 1 bag of soil how sud i put more soil ???

i have plant food wich says ( can be used on vehetables ) it says to ither water it in or mix it in with the soil??

ps im trying to frow
    carrots
    beetroot, peas and mixed lettuce!!

8. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

If you are growing root veggies you may need to go deeper, 2 bricks high is about 6", not deep enough for carrots especially, I would raise it by two more bricks at least for more soil depth. Janet

9. gpenen

gpenen Member

the only problem is that i wud like to keep it on the inexpenceive side ?

o and i have garden to dig up but i dont now wat to do incase i get grass growing in the patch ??

i think i shud add more soil bec i have 3 bags of compost in a nd 1 bag of soil in wat ya think? and if u cud explain how to get good soil from the lawn it wud help alot thnks

Gavin