Help! Leaves turning black!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SilverDragon89, Mar 11, 2006.

1. SilverDragon89

SilverDragon89 Member

I bought a bonsai tree a few months ago and for a while now, the leaves started turning from green straight to black. What can I do to try to save it or is it already dying?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Well more info. might have helped - like what is it, where is it, in what conditions, etc. but basically it's rotting, so get a fungicide for house plants and follow label directions (more is not necessarily better!), and write back here with info. on how much and how often you water, if the pot's sitting in drain water all the time, how much sun it's getting all day, etc. And especially what is it? You may have to completely repot with new soil (pretty likely actually) and a lot of grit in the mix for fast drainage and no saucer unless the pot's kept away from the water by pebbles, etc. Or it could be too late... a picture would really help.

3. SilverDragon89

SilverDragon89 Member

I don't really know what type it is, but maybe the pictures might help? I water it every now and then when it the soil isn't somewhat damp, so i guess i don't water it that much and therefore its not sitting in drain water all the time. Though is a bonsai tree like a house plant then?

Attached Files:

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, I think it may be a ficus of some kind, or possibly a Chinese elm - a closer picture of the leaves would help - you can't take care of it without knowing what it is. Bonsai are not houseplants, they are trees, some of which may be tropical species that survive indoors if given the right environment. They need knowledgable care - not casual watering whenever, and some need water daily (depending on many factors like light, humidity, location, soil mix, season, etc.) and some need it far less. I think you're in over your head, but from the looks of it, your tree does need a lot of bright light all day - a few inches below a full spectrum fluorescent wouldn't be too much, water only when the top inch (to a finger poke) of soil is dry, and you need to find a local bonsai club/society that can give you more specific help. Bonsai is a whole other subject from house plants and if you can find some books, you'll at least get an idea what it's about.

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

its not a chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) so ficus possibly, not sure really........anyway to the problem at hand, the leaf drop is most likely because its inside, dry environment, low light levels......however i did notice black on the tips of the leaves, so im thinking there maybe a pathogen at work there somewhere......like Rima said not an easy thing to keep happy is a bonsai (no reason not to have a go though).....i would suggest you buy a good bonsai book, theres a lot to learn ;) when the weather warms up put him outside, the fresh air and rain always perks up house plants.

6. SilverDragon89

SilverDragon89 Member

Will these pictures of the leaves help in identifying it? And during the winter, it seems to grow white flowers ^_^.

Attached Files:

7. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi again, thanks for the pix. Now I'm thinking it could even be a Serissa (did it ever have tiny white flowers?) which is a really hard plant to deal with even for experienced growers, or a remote possibility is a Fukien tea (Carmona microphylla), also not for beginners, though the leaves lack a little something that would ID it as that one. In any case, it needs really high light (supplementary) x 15 hrs/day, it needs to be watered consistently every time the top gets dry and make sure it gets enough so that it reaches the drain holes. Do try and find a bonsai club though because you're going to have a hard time with no definitive ID or experience.

8. Rima

Rima Active Member

Me again - now do you see why ID is so important? The watering needs for ficus (which I'm beginning to doubt) and Fukien tea are so different for starters, as are other things in the long run.

9. SilverDragon89

SilverDragon89 Member

Yeah, i'm beginning to see why knowing the type is important. Yeah, it did have tiny white flowers that fell off fast during the winter.

10. Rima

Rima Active Member

Ok, it's a Serissa (til further notice). Lots of light, water well when the top is dry, but not if the soil's still sodden from previously (which is why repotting into new soil with lots of grit in it and less peat is good - watering more often won't rot the roots sitting in muck from yesterday's watering). Do keep it outside in summer and be sure you have lots of humidity indoors in winter. Good luck, and if things don't work out, don't beat yourself up, serissas are mean to people!

11. ckramos

ckramos Member

12. pranhortics

pranhortics Member

Dear Friend

It is a species of Serissa .Serissa will be happy if gets sufficient bright light. From your picture I can understand the black leaves are due to over moisture.

Bonsai has to be kept under partial sunlight .

The plants kept indoors will show us some indication of over watering and insufficient sunlight by turning the leaves to yellow colour.

As a prevention of pest and diseases a home made remedy of spraying turmeric water and swabbing turmeric paste on the cut ends are our usual practice or we will use garlic, ginger, green chillies and onion paste and diluted with water is used( Indian practice) .

I am a Bonsai consultant for tropical bonsai.

Regards
    Pranhortics
    India

13. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, please just get a fungicide at the hardware or garden ctre that's made for house plants and follow the directions for 'drenching' the soil. Don't use herbs and spices (though they might be effective on some plants) because you don't know how much to use or how to use it properly or on which trees, etc. etc. (plus they smell!).

14. Merle7

Merle7 Member

I am having the same black leaves problem.
    I have ordinary kitchen turmeric paste, Could you please tell me what you mean by swabbing it on the cut ends? The cut ends of roots when repotting? - Repotting is exactly what I am going to do. I have just the pot for it.