inground myer lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by define, Oct 28, 2009.

1. define

define Member

Hey all i have recently purchased a meyer lemon tree and thinking i was doing the best for the tree in planting it seems from reading here i may have gone wrong so here goes :)

I dug a hole about 2 ft deep by 2 foot wide as soil was old and felt needed minerals(seems to big from what i read) I then added a bag (20L) of potting mix and mixed through some cow manure as well as all purpose fertiliser(slow release) that says it has trace elements(will check tomorrow if I need the Epsom salt).

Now my question how bad have I treated my tree and how do I correct the issue before I see a problem will it form a lake in my mix causing rot and do i need to use a CHC mix when in-ground I see a lot of that suggested for pots but in-ground?

Planted in ground 2 days ago no sign of damage do i upset it now or what are peoples opinion. If stays as is if suggested do i still run with the 2-3 inch dry soil before water or should I wait longer? Any help apreciated

And to add Millet, skeeterbug wow what a great contribution to this site, you have helped so many with their problems and saved many a tree. I feel after 30 pages of threads viewed you have helped me more than can be thanked Just wish I found you two here before i planted

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it was my tree, I would carefully dig up the tree and replant it correctly. To answer your question you would NOT ADD CHC or any type of amendment to the soil when you replant the tree. Use ONLY the soil that was removed from the new planting hole. Without going into all the additional reasons for not adding amendments, their are additional problems that occur, other that just creating a "lake", when amendments are applied. Good luck to you and your tree. - Millet (1,1680)

3. define

define Member

thank you Millet, I dug up the tree removed the potting mix/cow manure and refilled the hole with the soil I removed first time and replanted. I have attached some pics (if they worked).

Attached Files:

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your soil looks to be very sandy. If so, due to leaching, your tree will need to be fertilized 6 times a year from early spring to fall. If your area can receive frost or short period of cold weather during your winters, you should stop fertilizing at the end of your summer. Use the search function on this forum and you will find fertilizer instructions for a young citrus tree. Do not use a fertilizer with higher than an 8-8-8 analysis on a tree less than 3 years old. - Millet (1,168-)

5. define

define Member

avg winter temperature here is 6 degrees Celsius with a few day lows of 2 C will get some 8-8-8 today thanks again for your help