Dying Elizabeth Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by puma73, Aug 4, 2007.

1. puma73

puma73 Member

I recently moved to Kerrisdale and did some landscaping to my home. I purchased a yound Elizabeth Magnolia (6' high) for the front yard (faces south) which died within 4 weeks of purchase (new leaves and buds just died and fell off). I figured it was transplant shock so I returned it for another one. The second one was much stronger looking and did well for about 4 weeks until recently I noticed that two lower branches have died and leaves have gone brown and fallen off. Other leaves on the tree have a black mould/soot. I don't see any evidence of aphids but have seen a few small spider webs on the tree. The tree is near a sprinkler head so i'm wondering if its getting too much water causing the mould/soot? Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Deciduous magnolias are subject to both lilac blight and mites. Honeydew can also come from taller trees above.

3. puma73

puma73 Member

Interesting. There is a typical non bearing plum/cherry tree (the ones you see on many vancouver blvds) close to my magnolia. How does one treat honeydew??

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Honeydew is the sugary secretions of sucking pests upon which sooty mold fungus grows.