What is this plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mkc08, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mkc08

mkc08 Member

This is growing in my backyard. It may be a weed, but thought it was pretty and am interested to find out what it is. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pokeweed Phytolacca americana.

Often considered a weed, but in your area a native plant good for wildlife.

3. mkc08

mkc08 Member

Thank you! Looking online it looks like it is extremely poisonous and should be removed. Do you know anything about that?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It contains toxins, but I don't know about "extremely poisonous". Plants for a Future does a good write up.
    http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Phytolacca+americana

Many plants in the landscape are poisonous. Most are OK to grow if you don't eat them or rub the sap on your skin, but people who have small children or curious pets need to be more cautious. I used to let this plant grow in my garden, because I find it ornamental, but some find it somewhat invasive.

5. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Pokewek has been considered a good edible plant for centuries so I wouldn't get too freaked out. Read the whole link. Rhubarb is also "highly toxic" but most people manage to live with it and even their kids and pets survive.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Eric and Denis - yes it's slightly poisonous, but as long as you don't go eating lots of it, you'll be OK.

7. mkc08

mkc08 Member

Thanks everyone. I do have small children (one that may be tempted to taste it) and a dog and from what I read, if eaten, it can be very toxic. I appreciate the link and the info. If I didn't have children or pets to worry about, I would most definitely keep it, as I think it is beautiful!