Winter Transplant?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Wisconsin Woodsman, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Wisconsin Woodsman

Wisconsin Woodsman Member

Hello All, I am new to the site, I did some searching of threads before posting and have found a lot of good transplanting information. I understand that the best times to transplant is in early spring or in fall before the ground freezes. My problem is I have recently purchased a piece of property in Central Wisconsin and plan to cut a driveway in within the next few weeks. I have a lot of small pines that will be plowed over if I don't move them. The ground has not froze yet but should very soon. The soil type in this area would be best described as sandy. Assuming the ground doesn't freeze before the bulldozer shows up, is there anything I can do to transplant these in early December to increase the chances that they will survive? Thanks in advance for your help, Mike

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Just dig the biggest rootballs you can, place them directly into the new holes, backfill and water them in (though don't water to the extent you would if planting a deciduous tree in spring as pines can't take it as well) with half strength Miracid fertilizer. Do try to put them in sandy, gritty soil, if at all possible.