Magnolia "Sunspire"

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Unregistered, Apr 16, 2005.

1. I would like to know, approximately, how many years after planting does it take for a Magnolia 'Sunspire' to bloom.
    I planted a nursery specimen, from a one gallon container, three years ago and still waiting for it to bloom. It receives six hours of full sun followed by two hours mottled sun then ends the day in full shade.
    Thanks for your help,
    DonVig

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly it is in too much shade. I saw ca. 3 ft. balled-in-burlap stock coming into bloom at a NW Washington nursery last week. Every one of more than half-a-dozen specimens had at least a few buds, a couple of them had many.

Propagation method may be involved, if you are sure it is getting enough light. Possibly yours is from a cutting, these others were grafted (on a stock that imparts early sexual maturity). I don't know how this one is being built up.

3. Ron,
    Thanks for your quick response to my question about Magnolia ‘Sunspire’. I have additional questions but first let me clear up a question you raised. My Magnolia has been grafted; you can see the union (graft) at the base of the trunk.
    In my readings on the Internet, a Sunspire cutting is almost impossible therefore; grafting is the preferred option. One more point based on my readings is that a Sunspire blooms around mid-May. You mentioned that you saw some in bloom in a nursery a week ago, were they of the Sunspire variety and forced by the grower?
    Now to my final question; When are the flower buds set? The previous fall like a rhododendron or early spring in the current growing season?
    Thanks for help,
    DonVig

4. Ron B

We're in Zone 8 out here, you do not say where you are. Accounts describing behavior in a lower Zone will indicate later bloom times. This year we are also having some things bloom all at once, maybe next year the 'Sunspire' will be a little later. And some magnolias develop rather slowly, bloom a fairly long time. A plant that peaks around May 15 - this can only be a representative date, of course, with exact timing varying yearly, everywhere it is planted - may start opening some time before then.

Deciduous magnolias have overwintering, terminal buds that are set the previous year.

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Sunspire flowers, Cape May NJ 5/07. These blooms are in early May. The tree is maybe 6-7 yrs old. It has flowered only lightly so far. The flowers have very mild scent, the tepals have substance but just a few to a flower. The distinctive form along with the yellow flower is very unique.

The ratty 'jersey princess' in the background has rallied this summer.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

For those wondering 'Jersey Princess' is an Ilex opaca cultivar producing glossy leaves noted for being the darkest known for that species.