Ponytail bulb removal and planting

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Carla, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Carla

Carla Member

I got a little 3-bulb ponytail pot in 2005 with the bulbs on top of a hard rock surface. I just read another thread that said that the rocks should be removed. My question is what to do with the bulbs, should they be burried in the soil or should they stay on top of the soil like they were when I got the pot? Also, should I keep the bulbs together or put each one in one pot?

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

You can seperate or leave them together though the roots would be pretty entangled by now. The rocks are not a serious problem so long as they're not burying the caudex (bulb). The rocks will act as a mulch and hold moisture in so adjust watering as needed. Don't re-plant them lower than what they already are. These plants are best off being kept on the drier side to prevent rot problems.

3. Carla

Carla Member

Just to clarify. When I replant them, the bulbs should be above ground since they have always been above ground? So, only the roots should be in the soil? And, in regards to the rocks, I don't know how hard this rock layer is, but when I replant the bulbs, what do you want me to do with that layer since you mentioned that they do have a function. Should I try to break the layer apart and mix the rocks in with the soil?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Loose gravel may be used as a top dressing in your container.

Here are some photos that are posted in our photo gallery. They should give you an idea of what to do. http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=30690

Just remember that your "ponytail palm" is not a palm, but an arid-climate plant more closely related to desert agaves. With that in mind, a loose, cacti/succulent mix perhaps with some additional drainage material (perlite, vermiculite, bonsai mix, etc.) mixed in. Make sure that your container has adequate drainage holes. Water when the soil mix is dry.

We also have a few culture guides posted, as well.

These plants will easily outlive you and your children if well taken care of.

Mark

5. Carla

Carla Member

Thanks, Mark!