Q about cherry plums

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by linsoolam, Sep 25, 2010.

1. linsoolam

linsoolam Member

Out of nowhere, a cherry plum sprouted next to my rose bush a few years back. If it was producing any fruit prior, I didn't see any till last summer (I didn't know what it was...getting lazy about pruning probably helped!).

I'm in love with this little tree and when I move I hope that maybe cuttings might work, so I can plant one (or more) at the new place.

I also saved a couple pits.

What success am I likely to have? (Zone 8/Vancouver BC)

Thanks!

2. scelestian

scelestian Member

Prunus seeds have an embryo dormancy that must be broken before germination can occur. 2-3 months at 40 degrees F will work, or you can sow cleaned seeds outside in the fall and germination should occur that following spring. I would sow the seed in a small container with clean potting soil. Cuttings on the other-hand can be tricky. There is mixed success with soft to semi-softwood cuttings using 1000 or 3000 ppm IBA. Generally, firmer cuttings (usually late summer -letting new growth firm up a bit) with at least 3000ppm IBA may root with greater success. Keeping in mind that environmental conditions are key to rooting success. Soil must have good drainage- moist but not soggy, soil temps are usually around 65 degrees F, and air around the leaves should be humid. If you don't have a greenhouse a makeshift one can be made out of a 1gallon container and a 2-liter pop bottle cut off at the base.

Hope this helps :)