peonies

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by tinlizzy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

I am having trouble with my peony bush. I've had it 6 years now. It is in a sunny location. Every year, I get all kinds of buds about 2 inched in diameter, but they never come into full bloom!! What do I need to do to get them to blossom?
    Thanks in advance

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the tuber may be planted too deeply.

i have one that i transplanted from the neighbors yard (they were moving) and it took 3 years before i even got any buds...and none of them went to the full growth, producing a flower. the next year, i had one that bloomed. this year i had 8 buds and 3 bloomed.

a couple years ago, i did check the depth - and found some weed with fleshy roots growing above the peony...i took the time, late summer to dig up all those roots and was rewarded with the one flower last year...3 this year. still have that awful weed in there...gotta dig up the roots again - guess i missed bits of it because the junk is still there...

i also stopped putting down the leaf mulch for winter...too easy to not be able to remove it in early spring if it's really rainy and proper sunlight is vital for peony to bloom (on top of the tuber not being too deep).

3. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

Dear Joclyn, Thank you so much for the quick response. I am a beginner gardener, so
    I can use all the help I can get. My neighbours peonies are all in full bloom, and of course, once again mine are just buds. I do not see any of the weeds that you spoke of
    around the base of my plant. I'll replant the bush in the fall. Hopefully, I do not have
    to wait again next year, for blossoms.

Thanks again, your advise is very much appreciated.

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Did you have a cold enough winter? Peonies need a good cold spell to produce bunches.

Try pouring a bunch of ice around the base of the plant and let it melt into the soil. We have 6 big peonies that have been here since the original owner of our house lived here and she used this trick.

5. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

Dear ShearMe,

Yes, I think we had one of the coldest and windiest winters on record. I will try
    the ice method. It couldn't hurt. They're still just buds at this stage, and as I've
    said my neighbours peonies are all in full bloom. I'll do it now. Thanks for the
    advise!

6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

No problem - be sure to post pics if you get any good ones! ;)

7. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

Thank you again! I've put the ice cubes around the base of the plant. As soon as I get a bloom, I'll post a picture. I've got my fingers crossed!

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i wouldn't necessarily move the plant.

peony can be very finicky and don't like to be moved...they can take years to get comfy enough to bloom properly. 3-5 and sometimes more.

if you did plant it too deeply (more than 2 inches) then i would just remove some of the soil covering the tuber - don't actually dig it and replant. and give it another couple years and see how it's doing.

one thing, besides needing cold treatment over winter, is that it needs well-draining soil. if the spot stays too soggy for too long, then there may be an issue with rot. if that's the case, then you will need to disregard the previous statement and move it to another, drier, location :)

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ontario is more than plenty cold enough for peonies, putting ice cubes down might help in Dallas, but not in Ontario!

The commonest cause of buds failing to open is peony blight caused by Botrytis paeoniae. Check for symptoms of that.

10. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

Thanks Michael,

I'll go to Google now to search, the blight called Botrytis paeoniae. I'm sure all of this
    information will help. Even though we here in southwest Ontario, are part of the warmest climates in Canada, I did think we were cold enough for the peonies. But being a beginner, what do I know?? I'm so happy for this site and all the help.

11. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I forgot to look at your location... it definitely was cold enough for them up there. Oops ^.^

12. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

It's okay! I can use all the help I can get! If the ice works too, all the better! It's worth a try!! Thanks for the advise!

13. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

Hmmm, yah! 6 yrs. does seem long enough to bloom. Mine took several years. Even now I get a ton of blossoms but not all of them bloom. Plenty, though. Good luck!

14. tinlizzy

tinlizzy Member

Thank you for the support! I hope they bloom too!