Pony Tail Plant

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Vesta, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Vesta

Vesta Member

I just got a pony tail plant and it has 5 or 6 blubs on it. Can I seperate these bulbs into more plants or will that kill my pony tail plant?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if they're not crowding the pot too much you can leave them together for a while - especially if the bulbs, themselves, are only an inch or so in size. once the bulbs are larger and/or roots show out the bottom you can repot and then seperate them at that time - you can still keep them in two's if you wanted.

you'll want to repot now if they are in peat, though. the proper soil is a cactus soil. and the pot should have drain holes in it.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

If the babies have their own decent root systems, you can separate them carefully cutting right straight between the mother and the baby. Try to get as much of the roots per plant as you can. You'll want to use a small pot adding something like 'Perlite' to the soil will make it drain better and faster.

4. Vesta

Vesta Member

Is there a main bulb I should keep away from? I was told there was one if it forms a y shape. Thanks for all your help.

Vesta

5. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

In order to separate the suckers (babies) without causing significant harm, one should wait until there are roots on the bottom of the individual caudex (bulb) you want to remove. If there is any question, then let it be.

6. Southernwind

Southernwind Member

RE: Ponytail Plant, Responding to first post 2005. 1x per week watering a ponytail plant is too much even for summer unless it's outside in 0 degrees humidity... So if it didn't die then you learned it. 'Tee Hee', If it didn't make it, it's time to try for another... DO NOT OVER WATER. It's that simple. Get one of those "moisture probes" that display moisture level of the surrounding filler.

My sister has had one that is, "GET THIS", 17 years. Every relationship and apartment change that plant went with her!!!!! She moved again and I am the caretaker of 'Livia' and I am scared to life that i may fail and loose the plant. How long do they live anyway? Is it not ironic and an awesome story. If you want to hear more respond to http://www.allphots.net[/url] and request a membership via email. It's free.

I'm going to get you one when you get out (for Columbian John). Elizabeth Sarrahh

7. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Beaucarnea recurvata can live for hundreds of years given the proper conditions. In the wild, they can obtain massive proportions. I have 2 that are over 20 years old. Given a well-draining soil mix, several hours of bright light a day, and a "water when dry" regimen, it should live for many years.