Meyer Lemons ripe or unripe

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by br0wnthumb, Oct 10, 2007.

1. br0wnthumb

br0wnthumb Member

I have an improved Meyer Lemon tree that I bought and replanted several months ago. I have ferilized. It bloomed and grew fruit. I had eight lemons on the tree. They are a little over two inches long. The fruit feels ripe (it gives nicely when squeezed), but does not easily come off of the tree. Each lemon is still green with a yellow patch on it. I am wondering why the lemons are not turning yellow. The fruit has been on the tree and this size for some time now. I pulled off one of the lemons this morning and cut it. It looks fine inside and taste like a cross between a lemon and an orange. Do I just need to be patient and wait for them to ripen? I am afraid they will over ripen since they give when squeezed.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I have been using green lemons off of my Lisbon lemon for a couple months now. They make a great lemonade and it was more useful to me when it was really hot in August.
    Color in citrus fruit usually requires a little cool weather. Also, from what I have read, Meyer lemons are best when they are just beginning to change from green to yellow. If they are allowed to fully ripen, the orange taste in them comes out and it looses the lemon taste.

Skeet

3. br0wnthumb

br0wnthumb Member

Skeet, thanks for the reply. I will give the lemonade a try. Sounds good. We don't get cold too often here in TX.