Beeches: Fagus sylvatica 'Bornyensis'

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Scion Swapper, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Hello,

Last year I received several scions of Fagus sylvatica 'Bornyensis'. I grafted a couple successfully. This cultivar is very rare here in the United States. I've read written descriptions from Micheal Dirr and others that described this tree as growing upright with all side branches weeping down (possibly similar to 'Purple Fountain', but with green foliage- my guess??).

Does anyone here on the forum have photographs of this cultivar, preferably established specimen trees. I'd like to see what it looks like in time. Perhaps someone in Europe might be able to help here.

Regards,
    Brian

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You're read Dirr and...?

3. Scion Swapper

Ron,

I'm not following your question here. Could you elaborate?

Brian

4. Ron B

>I've read written descriptions from Micheal Dirr and others<

Who are the others? Maybe I have information here you haven't seen. No point in posting it if you have--except for what interest it might hold for other readers, of course.

5. Scion Swapper

Ron,

Just simple google searches:

'Bornyensis' - The drooping branches hang from a
    straight, upright trunk - Michigan State University website

Thought I found a couple more last time I searched. Esveld's site doesn't post any photos or descriptions. Bob Finchams website at Coenosium Gardens has a nice section on Fagus cultivars, but I don't think he lists or describes 'Bornyensis' there.

Brian

6. Ron B

NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES*:

"F. sylvatica 'Borneyensis' ('Bornyensis')

BORNEY WEEPING BEECH. Originated in Borney forest, near Metz, France. Introduced ca. 1870 by Simon-Louis nursery of Metz, France. In North America since at least 1895. Vermeulen nursery of New Jersey has sold specimens since </_1980. Probably also sold as F. sylvatica 'Pendula'. Straight erect trunk with weeping branches. Size and rate of growth not known."

*1996 Arthur Lee Jacobson

Nurseries here display greenleaf lookalikes alongside F. sylvatica 'Purple Fountain' as F. sylvatica 'Pendula'. Jacobson (same book, under F. sylvatica f. pendula) says (among other things) that "Two general categories of WEEPING BEECHES exist: mushroom and fountain. The mushroom form tends to be squat and broad, with several undulating, irregular leaders, becoming tentlike, sometimes eventually 80'-100' wide. The fountain form is narrow and can be very tall. A clone of the fountain form is 'Borneyensis'. The use of the epithet pendula in a formal sense as cited here embraces any and all WEEPING BEECH clones. On the other hand, used in a clonal sense 'Pendula' refers solely to the clone originally sold in 1836 by Loddiges nursery of England. Synonyms of the English 'Pendula' include: 'Horizontalis', 'Tabuliformis' and 'Umbraculifera'. WEEPING BEECHES of both mushroom and fountain form have long been cultivated in North America, the mushroom more common. Frank J. Scott's 1870 book reports a WEEPING BEECH was planted in 1834 at Newton, MA. Another, said to be from Belgium, was planted in 1847 by nurseryman S. Parsons of Flushing, NY."