Identification: Two unidentified plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by eric_r, Oct 3, 2010.

1. eric_r

eric_r Active Member 10 Years

I'm wondering if anyone can identify the two plants pictured here.

The yellow rose is part of the Vancouver Parks Board plantings along the Island Park Walk seawall at Shore Pine Walk, near the walkway to Granville Island that ends up at the back of the False Creek Community Centre near the Alder Bay dock. The photos are taken at night. I can try to get daytime photos if that makes the plant easier to identify.

The plant in the small pot is a cutting I got in August 2009 from a B&B near Tofino near Chesterman Beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island. I realize that having a photo of the flowers would likely help. The people who gave me the cutting had no idea what the plant was. It was a shrub growing about 5 feet tall in shade under big Sitka Spruce et al just steps from the beach. I wondered how hardy it would be in Vancouver. It seems to have very small clusters of white flowers in the summer -- i.e. even smaller than lilac.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Could 1 be Privet (Ligustrum)?

3. eric_r

eric_r Active Member 10 Years

Aha! It certainly looks like it. Looking at photos of Ligustrum on the internet, the white flowers look like what it bore in summer.

Thanks very much.