Repotting beaucarnias

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by soccerdad, Oct 19, 2007.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have some beaucarnias that have never done well. Perhaps because their soil has some similarities to cement. I don't know what I was thinking, but I must have used regular outdoor soil when I planted them.

So I propose to take them out of their pots, remove the entirety of the existing soil, and replace it with appropriate stuff.

But I have never done anything like that before, and I am worried that they will die. Should I wait to midwinter (though how plants that live indoors in constant temperature can tell when it is winter escapes me ...)? Should I add some rooting hormone of the like to the new soil? Any tips from anyone?

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

If you look in the "Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree" forum, there are several threads on Beaucarnea as well as some culture guides from three different specialty nurseries.

1. Repotting is best tolerated in the Spring, but Beaucarneas are one of the toughest plants I've ever grown, so it should do fine as long as you are relatively gentle with the roots.

2. I use rooting hormone whenever I repot, as these products also contain a fungicide. Being that Beaucarneas are succulent plants, it is best not to water the plant for at least a week after repotting. This allows any wounds to callus over, reducing the risk of soil-borne fungi from entering the roots.

3. The mentioned culture guides will cover pot size and soil mix. Anything with a large grain (2mm or larger) will give the roots appropriate transpiration and water drainage. Perlite, vermiculite, bonsai soil, "pool filter" sand, crushed pumice, ground bark chips, etc. can be mixed...whatever you can find. If you do use potting soil, keep it under 10% of the mix, as it tends to inhibit drainage. Nutrients can be supplied with a slow-release granular fertilizer.

4. The pot should be kept on the small side in order to make the caudex fat. Giving it room to grow, will make it rather tall and thin...and they will grow, and grow, and grow. Sometimes keeping the size in check is wise.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Well, I got some orchid bark mix and sand, added them to some vermiculite and hanging basket mix that I had around, and decided to report my pony tails in that.

This weekend, with trembling hands, I removed the plants from the pots in which they have languished for lo these many years, to see what the soil that they were in was like.

What I saw reminded me that I needed to buy some cement for some posts that I need to set around my clumping bamboo. Solid rock.

I can hardly believe that I was that naive, but it rather looks like I just grabbed some garden dirt and planted them in that.

I tried to chisel the soil in one of the pots then gave up and instead removed them from their pots and soaked them for 24 hours, then used a sink sprayer and fingers to wash off the now-softened cement.

We will see how they do. I am amazed that they were alive.