Identification: Help ID plant with lilypad-like leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by LateBloomer, Sep 22, 2005.

1. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

Back in July I posted a thread requesting help to ID a houseplant I have, which has leaves that kind of look like lilypads. At the time I didn't have any photos of it, and I got exactly zero replies. I now have some photos, which should be attached: one showing the leaves and general shape of the plant, the other showing a bit more stem detail. Please help solve the mystery if you can!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ghoward

ghoward Member

looks like a Nastursium. yellow or orange flowers.

3. I don't think it's a nasturtium. It's never bloomed, and the leaves are quite a bit thicker than the nasturtiums I've known. Also, I got it from my parents who are both avid gardeners and they don't know what it is either, and they do grow nasturtiums. Thanks though.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

How about Pilea peperomioides, Missionary Plant or Chinese Money Plant?

Apparently this plant has quite an intriguing story to go with it. I'll post it if it turns out to be the mystery plant.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  5. Pilea peperomioides

6. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

Yes, wonderful, that's it! Thank-you so much, all. I was just visiting my mother and she told me that her cutting from the original has bloomed, so I was able to get a description of the flowers and check that in some pictures too, which helped to cinch it.
    What is the intriguing story that goes with the plant?

7. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

I forgot to inquire - how common a houseplant is it?

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't know if it's considered to be common but what follows may give you a clue. Here's the story, as promised. I copy-pasted the following quotation which was in turn copy-pasted into a German gardening forum:

9. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

Wow, that is so interesting! I'll have to pass along the story to my parents - I'm sure they'll be intrigued.
    Thank-you!

10. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Member

The pictured plant is a CHINESE MONEY PLANT or also called the PARASOL PILEA.It likes sunny windows in my house and has babies that grow at the bottom of the mother stem.These are easily cut away and can be placed in a fresh pot of soil.They like to be watered at least once a week and I use a water soluable fertilizer about every two weeks. Mine has not bloomed yet ,tiny white flowers,but my mother-in-law's has and then the mother plant will die,so save a baby.Good luck.

11. curiousplant

curiousplant Member

Wow, I just read the story surrounding this plant. How fascinating. I received this plant a few years ago from friend whos plant eventually died as mine continued to flourish. We have never been able to find out what type of plant it is. I have since then replaced her plant as well as passed it on to many others. I was shocked to find information on line regarding this plant. Here is a look at mine.

Attached Files: