citrus fertilizer

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by faith4100, Apr 21, 2009.

1. faith4100

faith4100 Member

Previous posts indicate that citrus fertilizer should have a ratio of 5-1-3. I have two potted Meyer lemons that desperately need to be fertilized, but I can't seem to locate a commercial fertilizer with that ratio. Can you name a few brands that I could look for? I live in the Midwest, so these are not available locally. Thanks

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

A 5-1-3 ratio W/trace elements is a difficult formulation to locate in the retail market. I fertilize with a 25-5-15 W/trace elements (5-1-3 ratio) that is sold by J.R. Peters, Inc. under the name Jack's Professional Water soluble Fertilizer 25-5-15 HPF. The J.R. Peters company is a very well known company in the commercial flower, and greenhouse industry. Unfortunately, they do not sell retail, and only offer their fertilizers in 25-lb. bags. A formulation that is not optimum, but works well enough, and should be easy to locate at most garden centers, Home Depot or Lowe's is 30-10-10 with trace elements. Many container growers have used it with success. The best. - Millet (1,368-)

3. repaulsf

repaulsf Member

I have been using Osmocote Plus (15-9-12). It is easy to find online which is how I purchased it.

While it does not have the exact proportions you want, it's close enough. The "Plus" designation indicates that it contains micronutrients which saves having to apply a separate formulation. Finally, oscmocote is a time release fertilizer. I apply it once every 4 months. So far, my 3 meyer lemon plants are responding well.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Osmocote 15-9-12 plus, is a good fertilizer for citrus. All Osmocote fertilizers list light, medium and heavy application rates on the label. For citrus, which are heavy feeders, always apply the heavy application rate. Lastly, when Osmocote list 4 months as the time the fertilizer applies nutrition, the 4 month time frame is just an average. Because Osmocote's nutrient release is regulated by heat, the fertilizer probably is reliable for 5 months during the winter and anywhere for 2 to 3 months during the summer. This of course depends on where the tree is located, and how hot the summer months are at that location. - Millet (1,355-)