Pinching off new bunches?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Debi, May 29, 2005.

1. Debi

Debi Member

I went out to my grape vines today to see how they were doing and there are these teeny tiny bunches of grapes everywhere. I know I probably have to pinch some off so the others will grow larger. How many bunches should I leave on each little stem?

Debi

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

How old are your vines? Conventional (commercial) wisdom will have you remove all the clusters for the first two years. I suggest you leave one per plant in the second year, just to make sure you are growing what you think you are growing. For three year and older European hybrids leave 1 or 2 clusters per healthy shoot (1 for large bunched, 2 for small).
    See http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/horticulture/g618.htm#pruning
    Ralph

3. Debi

Debi Member

The vines look quite old. There are a LOT of old branches everywhere. I have timmed some of the old wood off already. I have lived here a year and no one lived in the house for many years prior to me moving is. The house had been gutted and remodeled just prior to me moving in. The bunches that are on the stems seem to have lots of grapes on each tiny bunch. What would you suggest according to what I have just told you??

Debi