Need Insect ID

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by oldcrow, Sep 22, 2012.

1. oldcrow

oldcrow Member

I couldn't access the other place for insect ID's so am trying here. I've been finding these in my perennial herb garden near the tops of the plants. I've never seen it before and am a bit concerned. I garden organically and any help you can give me will be well appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. oosterholt

oosterholt Member

If they live on your Mentha sp. it is Chrysolina coerulans.

3. oldcrow

oldcrow Member

Thanks for replying. I've looked up information on the insect you suggested it might be and read that these creatures are not found in Canada, (I live in Canada). I must admit that they do look an awful lot like the ones here in the garden. I've not seen any on the mint but mostly on the oregano and lemon balm. On closer inspection it seems that these are the empty shells of some insect. Of course you could be right and they've made their way to this neck of the woods.

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

5. Insectivore

Insectivore Active Member

Just a tip I read recently. If you plant garlic among your veggies (I am sure this would help with herbs too.) they are natural pesticides and will help keep bugs and stuff away. Of course, of what I know, garlic grows a ton, so you might have to spend some time digging it up. Of course, if you use it it would mean you didn't have to buy it. Lol. Sorry I cannot help with your specific bug. :D

6. oldcrow

oldcrow Member

Barbara, I'm not sure that it would be a Cicada as there hasn't been any here as far as I know. Of course now a days anything seems possible. I'll certainly keep an eye out for these insects.
    Insectivore, that's a good idea about planting garlic. Thanks.