Wildflowers: Is this Japanese Honeysuckle???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jon45150, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

These vines were twining around many of the trees at Radio Range park in Indian Hill, Ohio. I assumed they were Japanese Honeysuckle, but it is late September and I always thought that Japanese Honeysuckle bloomed in June.

Are there other species of Honeysuckle that grow around here that look like this, or is Japanese Honeysuckle so invasive that it is blooming and seeding twice in one year just to spread that much faster?

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

4. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Why do you say that?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Notorious pest in eastern North America.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

The roads in Cincinnati are lined with bush honeysuckle, a close relative. It can be like driving through a tunnel in some portions of the city.

There is a park just a few miles from here that is completely overrun with these bushes (along with some invasive olive species). It is so dense that none of the native tree saplings can survive. The only trees in the woods are older trees, and in some places it is just vast fields of dense honeysuckle. The only trees I see popping through the honeysuckle are Ailanthus (stink trees).

It is the most depressing park I have ever been to. We have lived in this area since 1997, and we watched as honeysuckle slowly moved across the area. Now I regularly find young honeysuckle plants popping up all over our yard. There is not a wooded area around here that is not dense with honeysuckle. It would be literally impossible to walk through many local woods without a D.R. trimmer mower.

If you don't think invasives are a problem seeing this first hand might change your mind.