Transplanting

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by P Porter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. P Porter

P Porter Member

I am wondering about the root system of Portugese Laurels. I am looking at a couple of healthy trees about 6 feet tall and 3 feet around. How big would the root ball be and would they have a tap root? They have been in the ground for around 7 years and would have to be dug out by hand. Any thoughts on if it would be feasible to move them?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No tap root. Will have to be dug carefully with adequate tools and experience to make it, being evergreen not likely to appreciate much exposing or lopping back of roots. If not up to getting large, intact balls and moving them to new location successfully, will have to hire someone who is.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

My question would be: what have you got to lose by challenging the plant by lopping back its roots enough to create a rootball that you can handle? This is a very forgiving climate, and a forgiving time of year.

For the home gardener, there is always the ideal way, and then there is the possible way which may not be ideal. Maybe landscapers can snap their fingers and decide to bring in a Bobcat, but for most of us ordinary folk, it is the plant that has to compromise, as we cannot pay/do beyond a certain point.

And you know, many plants can compromise very well indeed. I have never worked with Portugese Laurels but have moved numerous other shrubs of similar size in this climate at various times of year. I generally do not take anywhere near the whole rootball as I either can't dig it all out due to close quarters with something else, or I can't lift beyond a certain size. Ron's point is taken that this is more likely to be tolerated by deciduous plants, but if you have to move the plants and can't take a huge rootball, it's worth a try. Really, what's the worst that could happen - you have to replace the plants? And what's the alternative if you have to move the plants - destroying the plants you've got and buying new ones. So again, what have you got to lose by trying with a rootball you can handle?

I took out a large Loderi King George Rhododendron last fall, and since its new spot wasn't ready yet, left it sitting above ground, its slightly truncated rootball just covered by burlap and watering it the odd time, until just last week. It has given little sign of distress so far (of course summer will be the true test).

Having said all that, using a tarp to drag the thing, or wrapping it up and using a hand truck or wagon, you'd be amazed a how big a rootball a person CAN handle.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

With their naturally dense and fibrous rootballs rhododendrons are unusually easy to transplant. What one would have to lose by doing a poor job on a couple laurels that have had 7 years to root out in their current positions is whatever time, effort and expense had been taken on the effort. If bothering at all, take the time and trouble to do it right. Half an effort, if a failure is a whole effort wasted.