Using Spruce/Fir Needles for Mulch on Blueberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Anne58, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I have 2 blueberry bushes growing in the back yard. The plants are about 20 years old and have always been good producers.

I also have a neighbour that has spruce or fir trees which drop needles on our property all year (which is doing a number on the lawn). I have read that as needles break down they produce an acidic environment and blueberries like acidic soil.

Questions:

Would it be okay to use the needles I rake up as a mulch around the blueberry bushes?

How deep can I safely pile these needles around the bushes?

Thanks,
    Anne

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

On the surface, I can't see a problem with what you are proposing to do. Are you trying to correct something, though? Or just wanting to experiment? If something is succeeding (as it sounds like it is for your plants), sometimes it is best to leave well-enough alone.

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

It's more a way to keep the weed down around the bushes and also to find a use (other than garbage) for all the needles the neighbour's trees shed.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Since Blueberries like acidic soils I suspect it will not hurt at all. Give you the weed blanket you need and keep the soil composted. Probably would not hurt to put a bit of bone meal down for each plant first to keep the nitrogen cycle going.

Liz

Here is a bit on fertilizers and mulching
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-65.pdf

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Thanks Liz.