Image Attachments vs. Links to Images

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Daniel Mosquin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Going back on this conversation, there's some I didn't understand. But this I do know - having "caught" a virus through a link, the already-attached pictures seem much safer. I don't usually open links at all now . . .especially "photo bucket."

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think this thread should be retained as is, dead links and all. It clearly demonstrates of one of the drawbacks of shortened URLs as discussed upthread.
    So threads with even one dead link is destined for the trash bin?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, but if the thread is all about what was featured on the dead link, very likely. This is particularly the case for plant identifications (with dead links to photobucket, etc.) and threads started with links to web albums that no longer exist.

And, of course, I'm not actively looking for these -- just the ones I come across while going through old post notifications I've never looked at.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I agree Junglekeeper.

I also agree with Daniel. What is the point of keeping a plant id thread when the pic has vanished. It might just as well be deleted, as any discussion becomes meaningless, even if it was very interesting at the time.

5. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

—and another 3½ years later:

I just want to say I appreciate these forums and their excellent photo attachment facilities. They are a pleasure to use.

6. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

My two cents: Attachments over links.
    Sending photos up to UBC site ensures it will be part and parcel of a thread.
    If the server goes down it's not such a big deal- it will come up again. Sending people to a link where images are hosted offsite has a lot of issues- but particularly relevant is that those images off site can disappear for any number of reasons never to reappear again- which erodes the integrity of the thread and is not fair to all the people who took the time being involved in it.
    (speaking from experience)