Alocasia Amazonica

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Love2Grow, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Love2Grow

Love2Grow Member

Hello Everyone,
    I just found out about this website last week and I have been glued to it since trying to learn all I can - Amazing!

I bought this Alocasia Amazonica a few weeks ago and repotted it. I only watered it once and not too much then. But over the last week I have lost 2 leaves and now I see a third one is going. It seems that the leaf starts to get a dark spot and it is almost soggy and somewhat damp feeling. Within a few days the whole leaf is fallen over and mushy. You can see from the photos that there is a dark spot forming on the middle of this leaf and it is already starting to sag. The picture of the back of the leaf shows it best. I was wondering if this plant is getting ready to winter (is this about the time of year for this plant?) and I am not sure if these plants do that when they are indoors. The house is warm, and it has been getting sun since I bought it. This week I moved it up to a nice sunny window in hopes of it just needing a few more rays. I would appreciate any info you could give me and thank you in advance for your help.

AlocasiaAmazonica2.jpg AlocasiaAmazonica4.jpg AlocasiaAmazonica3.jpg

AlocasiaAmazonica1.jpg

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, they do go dormant for winter and that may be what is happening.

they like to stay in pretty moist soil - so it may need more water. also, they don't like being in direct sun. they should be in bright filtered/indirect light - i keep mine on the window sill of a window that has white curtains (not sheers, just a thin cotton) and it's done really well there.

i'm seeing some of the stalks starting to die off, so i think it's just starting to go dormant.

3. Love2Grow

Love2Grow Member

Do I keep it in the window for the winter? What about water? Do I stop for some time? If so when do I start watering it again? Thank you for your post.