cooked lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by seattletrees, Feb 28, 2006.

1. seattletrees

seattletrees Member

Help! I've cooked my lemon tree! It had been outside for most of the winter, but we took it inside when there was a bad frost. I inadvertantly set it too close to a heater vent and dried out the leaves. The soil is moist. The leaves are now gone. What do I do? Do I need to cut back the branches and wait until next year?...

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Do not cut the branches. There's a good chance much of the tree is still alive. A good indication is green bark. Allow the leaves to grow back before deciding whether any pruning is required. Make sure any new growth is above the graft line. In the meantime, place the tree in a cooler spot with bright light away from drafts and cut back on the watering.

3. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper offered some pretty sound advice. The only thing that I would like to offer is bottom heat. Between 60 F - 16 C not higher than 89 F -32 C. F-C is great!

I would keep it out of direct

4. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper offered some pretty sound advice. The only thing that I would like to offer is bottom heat. Between 60 F - 16 C not higher than 89 F -32 C. F-C! use a soil temp. and try to maintain at 70F-21C.
    Keep out of direct sun. You goal is to maintain the root stock, at this time. Don't cut anything let you tree grow until it starts a new growth. Than trim.
    All Citrus have die back do to the environments that it's is in.