Small tree with red/maroon tinted leaves

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dannystwicked, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dannystwicked

dannystwicked Active Member

I'm kind of stalling out in trying to determine what tree this is. I was initially thinking Prairie Fire Crabapple or some sort of plum tree. I believe it produces red fruit that is about a in diameter. It is about 15 feet tall. The leaves are red/maroon and tinted green as well (as if it's currently changing between the two colors) and they're about 1.5 - 2 inches long. I'm in Blair, NE, which is between USDA zones 4b and 5a. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the blurriness in the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Purpleleaf plum. People are growing unnamed seedlings as well as named cultivars that have been propagated by nurseries and put on the market. If yours is a named form it would be identified using specific characters of the flowers as well as the fruits and leaves.

3. dannystwicked

dannystwicked Active Member

I looked up the Prunus cerasifera and I noticed that fruits are almost identical. I'm fairly certain that's what it is. Thanks for your help.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That would be determined by details of the pits etc. Some forms are pure P. cerasifera variants, others are hybrids with other species or derived entirely from other species. If you want to take it that far there is actually an entire book on the subject, with identification keys.

http://www.arthurleej.com/plp.html