Victoria BC - In Ground Meyer Lemon Update

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by leapfrog, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Greg, the "Eatable Flying Dragon" does not exists. An "Eatable Flying Dragon" variety comes up every now and then, and will probably continue. Unfortunately, there is no such thing. A couple months ago a member on the Citrus Growers, claimed he had one, until he tried to eat it. - Millet

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

millet, The citrus guru, mr 'BC', your good friend in Texas, refered to it as in his words "I was the person that found the edible Flying Dragon. It is a novelty plant and not too great for taste." maybe he meant 'eatable' ??? Whatever it is i have one :)
    Greg

3. Millet

Greg, I've talked to Bonnie about that fruit. Not Eatable. However, the one you have will make a good ornamental tree, or a good root stock. Take care, and good luck. - Millet

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

On the topic of edible, I aquired a Carrizo Citrange about a year and half ago. The fellow that had these claimed "hardy edibe citrus". His small tree had fruit set but it was not certian even after inquiring, what was considered "edible" after discovering he'd not had any fruit from his tree to that point. He claimed it was a Poncirus x Washington naval and after researching at the time, concluded it was nothing more than root stock.

leapfrog ... I've not check on this lemon for a few weeks but I fear the worst. I'll check this weekend and get back.

Greg ... looking forward to this spring and those new citrus!

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

5. Gregn

There is a guy in Tsawwassen who has washington navel x poncirus trifoliata he has it listed at zone 5 plant. see http://tropic.ca I am not sure what it would taste like OR if it is same plant that Barrie has...

Greg

6. LPN

Well Greg ... I wasn't going to name names, but ya, that's who & where I was when I mentioned it in the previous post. I've not spoken to Ray about it since, but my guess is his face will sour when I mention it.

Cheers, LPN.

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Great. I'll try my fruits once I shake off the flu and have my taste buds back.

Which new varieties do you have planned?

8. LPN

leapfrog,
    A plan is coming together for Changsha, Ten degree tangerine and Owari Satsuma.
    Cheers, LPN.

9. leapfrog

leapfrog Active Member 10 Years

Barrie: I'm now a confirmed citriholic grower. My next project is to find a cold hardy mandarin so I can pick Christmas oranges off my own tree during the holiday season! If you have a line on Changsha, Owari and Ten degree tangerine, and there's chance for me to get in on it, I'm there. I'll send you a PM.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This really isn't the place to debate this, so instead I'll present some facts, and if you'd like to continue the conversation, we can move over to Conversations and Chat.

Regarding volcanic eruptions:

From the US Geological Service Volcanic Hazards program on carbon dioxide:

Regarding sulfur emissions, from the University of North Dakota's Volcanoworld program:

Regarding methane gas emissions (from the United Nations Working Group on the Scientific Basis of Climate Change, summarized on this Wikipedia page on methane emissions):

Anthropogenic Sources = 55% of all methane emissions, Natural Sources = 45%. The numbers are slightly off because the natural sources includes rice agriculture whereas the anthropogenic sources presumably includes wild ruminants. Termites account for 3% of the total annual emissions.

11. Millet

Daniel, it's not worth the time nor in the interest of this forum for a rebuttal. I'll take second place. Take care - Millet

Robert Southwell

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  12. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

From personal experience Meyer lemons have best "lemon" flavor before they are fully yellow. To me, once they start to turn orange they get a nasty off flavor. Meyer lemons will fall off the tree once they are over ripe.

13. Payi

Payi Member

Hi Barrie, so glad to see that you have been successful with Meyer Lemon.
    Would you be able to direct me to a nursery that has your variety? or did you grow them from seeds.

What steps do you take to protect the tree in the winter?
    What kind of soil structure and ph do you have the lemons in?

I would like to try to grow a couple of lemon trees in the Okanagan-Similkameen area and I need some good pointers.

Thanks, Payi

14. LPN

Try Ray at Tropic to Tropic Plants - www.tropic.ca
    It may be too early for the citrus yet, but Ray does ship plants.

Cheers, Barrie.

15. Gregn

Payi, Home Depot stores here in greater Vancover often have Meyer Lemons for around $20. Though the Last Time I checked, they didnt have any. If there is a Nursery in Edmonton that buys from Monrovia growers in California - that may be your best bet. A North Vancouver Garden centre, has the 1 Gallon (monrovia) Meyers for $19.99 and 5 gallon bush for $49.99. You may want to try a Trovita Orange ( a navel orange with low heat requirements - to ripen the fruit- good for overwintering inside)
    http://monrovia.com
    http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/PlantThumbsAv?SearchView&Query=field+botanical+contains+citrus&Count=10
    All citrus will do well outside in suitable pots in the Okanagan region so long as they are brought in to a area that doesnt get much below freezing during the winter.