Hops turning brown

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by sbrant, Aug 6, 2006.

1. sbrant

sbrant Member

I have hops that are approx. 6 years old and in the last 3 weeks, the leaves have been turning brittle brown around the edges, and eventually kills the leaf (starting on the bottom) and are spreading. Can anyone tell me what is causing this. I have research many differant sites, and it can be anywhere from a virus to spider mites..how do I tell which it is and how do I prevent further damage. Thanks!

2. Monk

Monk Member

You should be able to see spider mites. Just look very closely at the undersides of the leaves.

As for a virus ... you may need to call your local agricultural extension and have someone come out and look the plants over.

Richard

3. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

4. sbrant

sbrant Member

I think my hops have verticillium...is there anything I can apply to the leaves for fall so it does not happen next year?..(I have read that it doesn't always come back each year??)

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

this is kind of off the topic of the original thread but if you truly do have v. wilt there is no cure except to rotate your crop and try solarizing your bed by laying down a piece of clear plastic to raise temps to kill the little begger..