Good Temperature and Humidity Range for Good Growth of Plants inside the house

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ottawa-Zone5, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Your input will be appreciated.
    The room temperature differs inside the houses depending on the thermostat setting in the winter. The humidity changes when the temperatures dips very low and the house heating furnace fires frquesntly drying out the house to very low humidity.
    Suppose I coul dcontrol one room for plants, what is a good temperature range and humidity range for good growth of the newly rooted cuttings/plants inside the house?
    Also, in your opinion, what will be the actual optimum temperature and humidity values to maintain for best growth?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Varies with kind of plant.

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Thanks Ron.
    Not cactus but say newly rooted cuttings of fig plants.
    I have experience with these but sometimes these give me hard time in winter after rooting and shooting by drying up of apical tips, leaves falling, leaves slowly become brittle and barely hanging on. Once May come there will be no problem. My question is what is the humidity and temperature maintained by the nurseries when they grow hardwood cuttings after roots and shoots.

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

It's true it will vary according to the plant, but for one example, optimum conditions have been worked out for tomato growing in greenhouses. Humidity is optimal at 70-80% for those, and temperature kept below 30C.

Your house is like mine, gets very dry during the heating season. Your plant room would be best quite a bit more humid than the rest of the house if possible. Temperature is very dependent on light levels. If you have growlights, you can bump up the temperature to summerlike levels. If you grow on a window sill, the temperatures should be kept very low in my opinion, until around now when the light levels naturally increase.

The fig cuttings might be reacting to low humidity, but I'd also suspect low light/short days, and spider mites. As you know, figs in nature often grow happily in very low humidity (Mediterranean) climates.