flowering almond

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Iona Penwarden, May 29, 2003.

1. Iona Penwarden

Iona Penwarden Member

My flowering almond almost done flowering. I understand that the flowers will fall off but there are very few leaves left on the plant and most of them look wilted just like the flowers Any ideas
    as to what 's happening? I have not done anything to it. We have had a lot of rain any connection?

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

How's the flowering almond now?

In Vancouver, where it rains a fair amount, Prunus glandulosa (dwarf flowering almond), P. tenella (dwarf Russian almond) and P. triloba var. multiplex (flowering almond) do very poorly. Even when they flower well, subsequent growth is weak, and overall, plants are short-lived.

The inherent weakness in these species may be due to a general dislike of moist conditions, insufficient winter chilling or the presence of pathogenic organisms (viruses, bacteria and fungi all commonly infect Prunus species) or merely an intolerance of wet feet (most of Vancouver's precipitation falls as rain between November and March).

Lower humidity, warmer summer temperatures and colder winters with precipitation in the form of snow are probably conditions better suited to these species.

In his book Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, Michael Dirr does not speak highly of any of these species, noting, for example, that P. glandulosa "is the bargain basement shrub of many discount stores." He suggests that "many wonderful viburnums" could be utilized in gardens instead.