Help Identifying Rough Leaved Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by PixelGum, Feb 23, 2012.

1. PixelGum

PixelGum Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I hope this is the correct place to post this, but anyways, let me get to my plant.

I recently moved into a new home in McAllen in South Texas and by the back entrance planted in this ring of bricks is this scraggly looking plant that was being strangled by some vine. I removed all the vines and pruned whatever it is down a bit, but I have no clue what it is. The leaves vary in size from 2-4 inches, they are very rough and sandpaperish to the touch, you could literally sand something down with them, they're also very stiff, and it's just several stalks of fibrous branches growing out of the ground. I don't think it's a tree, probably a shrub. It's in real rough condition right now, the leaves have dry sand/brown/black colored blotches all over them and they're all deformed. I'm guessing it's because that vine had been growing around it for years.

Would like to know what it is so I can nurse it back to life. I'm hoping it's not something poisonous, cuz then I'm a ton of trouble. @_@ Thanks for any help, in advance!

Here are some photos I took of the plant.

Attached Files:

2. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Probably Anacua, Ehretia anacua

3. PixelGum

PixelGum Member

Yes!! I looked it up and it definitely fits the description of an anacua. Thanks for the help!